Monday, October 18, 2010

Manatees and dugongs are not the same!

When I was in 3rd grade I did a power point report about manatees. Ever since then, I've been in love with them. They're so cute and fat and slow and lovable! I don't know why this particular assignment from third grade had such an impact on my life (probably because I aced it like you wouldn't believe! My teacher even used it as an example for her other classes. That's a pretty big stinking deal for an eight year old!) but it had such an impact that I have not forgotten about manatees.


Well recently my wonderful brother went on a trip to Florida for some training for his work. While he was there he thought of me when he saw some items claiming to be manatees. My very supportive family of course knows of my obsession with manatees and so I'm sure he was excited to be able to find me a small manatee pen just to let me know he cares about me. Little did he know... this pen is stupid! (don't worry I still love it cause it was a gift from my brother)


The pen is red and then the top half is clear. It reads: "Manatee Endangered Species" on one side and then on the other side there is an image of blue water and a small manatee swims across the pen when you tip it certain ways but... wait what?! It's not a manatee?! Why is there a dugong swimming across my manatee pen? Who do these people think they are selling dugong pens to manatee lovers?! Do they think we won't know the difference! Well ha! Ha, ha, ha! I've caught you in your lies!


Manatees have flat round tails that kinda look like a pancake. Dugongs have a whale tail. Manatees live in shallow water and eat plants. Dugongs live at sea and eat bottom dwelling creatures.
Dugong

Manatee




Maybe I should use my blog like a journal like normal people so you don't get stuck reading these ridiculous posts about manatees... but I gotta be ridiculous sometimes...

2 comments:

  1. II had never heard of a Dugong until today, thank you, Melissa Painter. I'm a Florida boy and was amazed to see the Dugong.

    ReplyDelete